- Picker/Packer — Pickers work in a warehouse environment. The job entails filling orders and packing them for shipping.
- Shipping/Receiving — This job function involves preparing and loading goods for shipping and processing incoming orders that are shipped from outside suppliers or vendors.
- Forklift Operators — Forklift drivers operate lift equipment in a warehouse or manufacturing plant, which is used to load and unload goods and transport them around the facility.
- Production Line — Line workers perform a specific, often repetitive function in a manufacturing process such as assembly.
- Maintenance — Maintenance workers are responsible for repairing and maintaining equipment and machinery used in the manufacturing process.
- Quality Control — QC workers inspect finished products prior to packing or shipping to ensure they comply with predetermined quality standards.
- Palletizing — Palletizing is a material handling process where goods are stacked on wooden platforms called pallets, which are then loaded onto trucks for shipping.
Benefits of a Career in Light Industry
Many light industrial jobs do not require special skills or a college degree, which makes them suitable for individuals who may be entering the workforce for the first time. They also provide the opportunity to develop skills and traits that can lead to career advancement opportunities in the future. For instance, production line workers learn the importance of functioning as part of a team.
Individuals who perform well in light industrial jobs and take training to develop their managerial skills are often able to move into the supervisory ranks as well.
Ideal Characteristics for Light Industrial Workers
When staffing industrial jobs, employers generally prefer candidates who possess the following characteristics:
- Manual dexterity — Many positions require you to work well with your hands and possess excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Physical strength — Some jobs require you to lift/move heavy objects.
- Ability to follow directions — Light industrial workers must be able to take instructions from supervisors.
- Attention to detail — Light industrial jobs such as assembly and quality control require close attention to detail in order to prevent mistakes that cause defective products.
Decton Staffing Services provides industrial staffing solutions for companies throughout California, Arizona and Nevada. Contact us to learn more about our available light industrial positions, or submit our online application today.